Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Quirks Confessed!

So I have been tagged to fess up to my quirks. I learned many years ago that there is no such thing as “normal” but some quirks are more un-normal than others.

My biggest quirk is that I can snap my fingers really fast, and I mean fast! I snap my left hand first then my right hand and then I make a hollow fist with my right hand and use it to hit my open left hand and repeat the cycle. I saw this trick in a movie when I was in 7th or 8th grade (it was an old black and white movie) where a genie (played by the same actor who played the original Curly on the Three Stooges) would do this when he granted a wish. I started practicing it and got really good at it. Maybe one day I will use it to become a famous actor or a genie.

My second quirk is that I hate going to bed. I stay up way too late every night and don’t want to wake up the next day. Lately I go to bed around 1:30 am and wake up around 7:30 am. I don’t recommend this habit and wish I could break it. I wish I had the same desire to sleep at bedtime that I have when I wake up.

My third quirk is shared with my brothers in that we never forget embarrassing things said or done by others. We also remember plenty of tv and movie quotes and use them very frequently. Some examples are: “They’re great, Frank (said nervously while tasting food),” “TV said that?” “You tried but you failed miserably; the lesson is… Never Try,” “Tennessee has a Jeep,” “Jim, it’s me, I’m your friend,” “Maybe if you lost some weight you wouldn’t be so depressed (said to me by my wife as mentioned in a previous blog),” and so many others. If these don’t make sense or seem funny then join the crowds of others who don’t know what we’re talking about when we three brothers are together.

Number four, Hmm. Well, I do wear the same clothes almost all of the time. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t wear the SAME clothes everyday I just have multiple copies of the same clothes; a blue polo type shirt, khaki pats, a brown belt and suede type work boots. Dressing the same sure makes life easier! Of course Saturdays and Sundays come along and I have to choose other stuff; like a different color polo type shirt or what tie to wear with a white Sunday shirt. Every so often I even wear sneakers but so infrequently that I once kept a pair for about 7 years and they looked great.

And finally I always have some cherry Chap Stick in my front left pocket. I guess I am addicted to it. If I were marooned on a dessert island that would be my one must have item. I have yet to find a support group to overcome this addiction so I may invent a 12 step program. I guess step 12 would be, “parched, painfully dry lips are a sign of your victory!”

I also file everything, constantly adjust my rear view mirror, am a super neat freak (my kids make sure nothing is neat so I have learned to live with this somewhat), procrastinate working on hard projects, hate to commit to most anything, and am miserable to live with if I don’t have a certain amount of time all by myself everyday. I would read the Wall Street Journal cover to cover every day if I had time and I love yard work (there are days I would prefer doing yard work to going fishing).

Quirky enough for you?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the reason you adjust your mirror so much stems back to you habitually adjusting your name plate when you were at AST. We used to move it on purpose just to watch you adjust it back as soon as you sat down.

Another quirk that you forgot to mention that runs within the family is the habit of trying to do way too much with the amount of time allotted. I remember many times coming to pick you up to go to hockey games and you would still be washing your car, replacing your roof, pouring a new driveway, etc because we just know we can finish it in no time.

Fortunately I've seen the same behavior in others as well. I know one person who is building a large addition onto his house and he said that it would take about a year. It's been a year and a half now and the sheetrock isn't up yet. I helped another friend build a deck and he said that we would get the ledger in place, dig some holes, pour some concrete, and set the posts all in one weekend. Three nights later we finally got the ledger hung only to realize that it wasn't pressure treated wood. That invoked a reaction of BUUUUUHHHHHHH!!! in all of us.

Nicole Bolinger said...

I sure hear ya about staying up too late. I should have listed that on mine! Snap!